I started a tradition last year in sharing a year in review post with images that Matt shot on film (You can read last years post here) and I decided to continue this year! It’s a great way to share some of the more behind-the-scenes pictures that never make the blog or instagram, and also a way to show you that we are indeed just real people living life, and it doesn’t always look so shiny!
This year has been huge for me, and for us. We felt a lot of growing pains, as we learned how difficult it can be sometimes to be a parent and give everything you have to this tiny little person who doesn’t even speak, and we also moved (again) to our first real home. I felt like 2016 was a year of a lot staying the same at a slower pace, and 2017 was back in the fast lane, amping everything up so quickly that at times it really REALLY overwhelmed me. It was the first year I officially left my job to run this blog full-time, and in doing that I felt like I had to be a YES woman, and do it all, even if I wasn’t sure if it was the right thing. I began working with a manager (the best thing I ever did in helping to preserve family time / sanity), I hired an assistant (and then realized that it’s easier to take a step backwards and continue keeping the photo aspect of the biz in our family) and I attended more events than I probably needed to, making that 2 hour round-trip commute to NYC and hiring sitters just to put myself out there. I DEFINITELY overbooked myself in November and December, and we traveled sososo much which was incredible (and to be able to share a lot of it on Stories was so fun too). But, in doing way too much, I learned some really valuable lessons that I am going to shoot for in 2018 (scroll down)
P.S. Sorry for so many pictures – it’s crazy these were all taken this year…
1. I am only one person – I need to be a YES woman only when it is really possible in my own schedule, without putting my family in 2nd.
2. If I ever have another baby, take it easy – I know a lot of you always message me that I inspire you to get out there after having a baby, and not let it interfere too much with life, but to be quite honest, if we have another baby someday I will be spending lots more days in PJ’s, inside, not stressing out over packing diapers bags, traveling to South Africa and roadtripping to Florida with a 2 month old. It was a beautiful experience, and I wouldn’t change any of it, but in hindsight we may have bit off more than we could chew at times.
3. Find a daytime sitter!! I’ve had so many situations pop up where I need someone to watch Hudson, and I feel so alone and without any options. Matt works, the grandparents all live in FL and I am basically alone here minus our sitter who we use on weekends. I need to find somebody else, and learn to trust.
4. Give Back – This is a big one on my 2018 agenda. I really want to use this platform for good, and I have some plans in the works that I am really excited to share with you all soon.
5. Date my husband – Year 1 with a baby is not always kind to relationships – this year my focus was so much on Hudson, that at times I felt bad for being such a crummy wife. I really want to try this year, and put effort into planning fun things to do for Matt and I. We started having a sitter for dates once in a blue moon, and I really want to focus on continuing that.
… To wrap it all up, I feel so so blessed for where we sit from 2016 to 2017, and so thankful that you all (for some reason haha!) continue along with us on this journey. It’s because of you that I get to do this job that I love so much I lose sleep over (yup, usually write all these around 1AM from bed haha!) I know I say this every year, but the future + the unknown shouldn’t be scary, it’s EXCITING. I know 2018 will be great for all of us – I am sure like everything it will have its lows, but know that with them come the highs as well! Have a beautiful and Happy New Year, and I will see you in 2018!